Frequent Asked Questions
1. What certifications does PMI offer?
PMI currently offers the following certifications:
- Project Management Professional (PMP)®
- Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)®
- PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®
- PMI Professional in Business Analysis (PMI-PBA)®
- Program Management Professional (PgMP)®
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®
- PMI Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP)®
- PMI Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP)®
2. Why should I get PMI certified?
A PMI certification is like a business card. It shows your professional expertise and it can help get ahead in your career.
3. What are the steps to obtain and maintain a certification?
To obtain and maintain a certification you must follow these 6 steps:
- check and ensure you fulfil the eligibility criteria for the certification you would like to pursue
- fill in and send your application
- wait for your application to be validated by PMI and, if necessary, ensure your audit is succesfully completed
- schedule your certification examination
- take and pass the examination
- renew your certification
4. What eligibility criteria do I have to meet in order to pursue a PMI certification?
There are two types of eligibility criteria which need to be met for all certifications:
- eligibility criteria refering to formal education
- eligibility criteria refering to professional experience, depending on your educational background
Please check the detailed eligibility criteria in the section regarding the certification you are interested in.
5. How can I prepare to pass the PMI certification examination on the first try?
Below are some things that can help in your preparation to succesfully pass the PMI certification exam:
- study the exam content outline and the handbook
- follow a preparation course with one of the Registered Education Providers (REPs) in your area
- take part in the certification preparation workshops organized by PMI Romania Chapter
6. If I fail the exam, can I take it again?
If you fail the exam on your first attempt, you can re-take it two more times within your one-year eligibility period. Fees are associated with re-examination. Details for re-examination can be found in the certification handbook.
7. What requirements do I need to fulfill to maintain an active certification status?
All PMI certifications, with the exception of CAPM, require that you engage in continuous professional development in order to remain certified. To maintain your certification you must earn a number of Professional Development Units (PDUs), depending on your particular certification, during the certification cycle. These PDUs must be reported and approved through the CCR system. If the right number of PDUs is reported and approved during the validity of your certificarion, by paying a fee you can then renew your certification for the next cycle.